Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ants: Stewards of God

They are always in a queue going up and down the edge of my doorpost. It's annoying to have them around. And when they bite, I just can't ignore the itchiness. Yes, they're ants. Although for me, they're annoying little creatures, I had fun watching them. And, I learned a lot from them.

These creepy crawlers of red and black may be one of the smallest creatures, but they are the most responsible creation of God. As I was observing them, it seems like they are doing nothing but just queuing along my room. While following the queue, I realized that they're gathering food from the crumbs of the bread I ate. Of course, annoyed, I tortured them by pouring water on them and cleaned up that part of the room. I was glad that they're no longer there. However, the next day, I saw them queuing again but in my bathroom floor. I didn't see any bread crumbs around but their home is at the corner of the bathroom. Once again, I poured water on them and many died. But after the floor dries out, they again filed in their queue. Not contented, I blocked their homes with a little bit of conditioner. Then lo and behold, they looked for another exit and continued what they are doing. I just can't stop them.

Then it struck me that as a Christian, I am like these ants. The difference is they know how to persevere and though hardships and trials come their way, they still continue to move on with their lives. They save for the rainy days by the continuous search for food and storing up in their homes. It's such a shame because as a person, and a special creation of God, I should know better than those ants. I should know how to be a good steward of my life and my resources. God entrusted me this life but what did I do? For most of my life, I abused it with temporary pleasures... be it physical, emotional, mental and even spiritual. Well, these ants have taught me a lot. And I guess, this is God's way of telling me that I have to start over and be a responsible steward God wants me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment