Monday, April 26, 2010

In Love Not Brainwashed

A friend of mine made a comment that Christianity is a religion that is brainwashing people. I wasn't prepared to answer back to that comment so, I tried to defend Christianity but wasn't successful because my answer was compromising the truth. I regretted it. But thinking about it, is Christianity really a brain washer religion?

Growing up in a Christian family made me think that I am already a Christian because I thought that I can inherit religion. But as I grew up, I was told that I have to accept Jesus Christ in my heart so that I could go to heaven and not hell. So, I accepted Him when I was in grade 3 because I definitely don't want to go to hell. I involved myself with a lot of ministries and followed all the rules. I honestly, got frustrated with all the rules because deep inside me, I know that I will never be that "goody two shoes" person everyone expected me to be. I slowly faded through all the ministry involvement. Until one day, I get burned out and stopped everything. I tried to find some answers but the only answer I had was to be still and return to God. Then, I recommitted my life to Him and seek for His healing. I'm so glad that with open arms, He just took me back.

I've always thought that Christianity was brainwashing people. But I realized that it is not. It's simply God stirring the hearts of those who seek Him. Christianity is not a religion but rather, it is having a relationship with God and letting Him rule my life. Though I sometimes fall, but it's now easier for me to run to Him and confess all my sins because I don't want to hurt Him. Also, I often remind myself of His love for me and what He did on the cross. For some, I may be brainwashed but for me, I'm just simply in love with Someone who first loved me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sherly, a timely comment to people who answered in a thread that there is no God...

    Just like you, i studied in a Christian school and went to SS, it is no passport to being a Christian. It is my decision to commit and recommit my life to Him. God brought me back to His fold. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Atsi Sandra! Thanks for posting your comment. Yeah it's truly amazing how God's love can make us fall back in love with Him. I've never been this happy in my life. God bless!

    ReplyDelete