Friday, March 5, 2010

10,000 Rule

"Practice makes perfect." It's a common saying for all of us. Malcom Gladwell in his book, "Outliers", described that a lot of people became successful because of the 10,000 Rule. He wrote that these people practiced their skills at least 10,000 hours to reach the success that they have today. One example he gave was The Beatles. They were not really the best when they started but they were very hard working in exploring different kinds of music in different bars. They were rejected and not appreciated but this didn't stop them from playing more music. When they became "The Beatles", they have already consumed 10,000 hours of practicing and up until now, we still continue to sing their songs.

This morning, I was talking to a friend about this and since he is a photographer, he told me that he realized that the pre-nup shots was his "10,000 hours". He didn't realized it until he listened to Outliers - Audiobook. This also made me think, what is my "10,000 hours"? I'm glad that my friend opened my eyes and told me that my "10,000 hours" is my learning and gathering of new information. Come to think of it, it's really true. Ever since I was a kid, I love to explore and learn new things. I've always loved trivia games and I secretly like watching documentaries. So, I have decided that from now on, I will focus on my "10,000 hours"....to read more and do a lot of research then post my learnings on this blog. Now I understand why I can't stand being idle. Once I stop feeding my mind, then that's the end of my line. Well, this might be my hidden passion after all...maybe I should follow the career path of doing research.

No comments:

Post a Comment