Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Fruit of the Spirit: Joy

Are you happy with your life? If your answer is yes, how can you say that you are happy? Probably, it's easy for you to answer the first question, however, the second one seems like a million dollar question. True happiness is joy. It seems the same but it's not. I would define happiness as temporary but joy, it is something eternal and no one can take that away from you. For example, I am HAPPY because I ate my favorite food today but I am JOYFUL because I savoured every bite of it.

To be honest, it's really hard to find joy but joy is just around the corner. It's basically how you look at the things surrounding you. It is simply appreciating every detail of your life rather than complaining about it. It is being content of what you have and not what you want in your life. If riches or material things would make someone joyful, why are there a lot of rich people who are lonely? How about power? It still, won't make you joyful because a lot of those who have power are threatened to go out on their own. Intelligence? I don't think so, because most of these people have a hard time "surviving in the woods" and they get frustrated. Probably religion, if it is, why are there a lot of religious people still looking for pleasures in life?

What then makes people joyful? For me, it's having a simple lifestyle. Appreciating the air that we breathe, being able to see the sun rising and setting, being with our loved ones and most of all, having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Knowing that when Jesus is in my life, I know I don't have to worry about anything because He will provide for all my needs. And if I learn how to be content, joy will eventually fill my heart. As the Bible says, "Rejoice in the Lord always. And again I say REJOICE!" (Philippians 4:4) Imagine, Paul wrote this verse when he was in prison. Therefore, the bottom line is, joy means seeing something positive in a negative situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment