Saturday, March 6, 2010

Dream the Impossible Dream

This morning, I met with a few students who will make a feasiblility study in their school. It was nice to see that they have programs like this to challenge them to create new ideas especially in the business world. I'm sure that most of the students are doing this for the sake of their grades. Well, maybe if I will be in their shoes, most likely I would have the same mentality too. But I was given the opportunity to meet these students so that I'd be able to share with them some of my insights and recommendations in putting up a business. Although I myself don't have my own business yet, my meeting with them challenged me to have my own business. We'll never know what will happen next in my life but maybe, just maybe, in the near future, I'd be able to put up something I can call my own.

Here are some guidelines that I learned during my two yars of stay in my current company that would help me and maybe, you in putting up a business:

1. Never Stop Dreaming. Dreaming is for free and no one can take that away from you. Try putting your dream on your business plan just like how kids imitate their favorite cartoon characters. The problem with us adults is we are so negative and we take too much reality in our plan. I don't see combining both dream and reality together as long as they are mixed properly.

2. Cost Everything. This is the reality part of your business. Money talks. You want to put up a business because you want to earn. But make sure to separate investments and expenses. A balanced costing will help your business grow. A growing business has to spend more but the return of investment will be doubled or tripled.

3. Take the First Step. This is the risk most people are afraid of. Just ask yourself, how will you know that the water is cold if you haven't dipped your foot in?

4. Research. Do a lot of research before putting up a business. Talk to people. Look at it from different perspectives. Ask questions. And as the brilliant philosopher, Socrates once said: "The only real wisdom is knowing you know nothing."

5. The Customer is Always Right. This is very self explanatory...therefore, when putting up a business, be a consumer first. Always ask yourself, if I'm the customer, would I come back? Why or why not? A simple question but will help you troubleshoot any problems and improve your business. If you know how to relate to them, they will be loyal to you and sales will come after.

These are just simple guidelines. But I do hope that this will help you on how to start your own business and probably, mine too. And, this blog might also be our key to success!

No comments:

Post a Comment