Thursday, March 4, 2010

Humans: Social Beings of the Real and "Unreal"

Our world becomes smaller because of the advanced technology today. People will be able to interact with everybody by just a click of the mouse. Giordano is right in putting the tagline that says, "World Without Strangers" because someone can socialize with anyone around the world. Eventually, every stranger we meet might be someone we have already talked to via the internet.

As you can see, we have been bombarded with different social sites...from Friendster to MySpace to Facebook to Twitter (if you would consider that one). These are just a few of the many social networking sites today. We are also upgrading our communication via emails, chat servers, cellphones etc. These are great technologies in the 21st century because it helps us to keep in touch with our families, friends, and business partners just underneath our fingers. Even I myself am hooked to this kind of technology. However, the downside of this is that all relationships became shallow and possible "not real". Why? Because one can easily manipulate his/her own identity and everything can be filtered already.

For the past few weeks, I've been doing a lot of work and my social life was going down. So, I just catch up with my friends via Facebook and email. After a few weeks of being in the virtual world to socialize, I realized that it's becoming "un-human". I missed to see the reactions of their faces, the hugs, the conversations without much filtering, the wrong grammars, the laughing out loud and all the emotions that I sense when I'm with my friends. I'm glad because early this evening, I had a dinner with a good friend and we just talked almost about anything. If it was not late, no problems with transportation and no work the next day, we might be talking all night long until we felt sleepy. Nothing beats a night out with friends and talking to someone who is physically there with you. Relationships can truly go deeper when you see the real person and when you are connected through the five senses. Well, at least I can proudly say that I'm still human afterall because I can still find some time catch up with friends by being with them.

http://web.duke.edu/~ppj2/cyberspace.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/2710632938_4ae0e0fb47.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment