Sunday, March 7, 2010

Old Dogs vs. Young Eagles

"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." 1 Timothy 4:12

It's really hard to be the youngest in an organization especially if most of your colleagues are at least 10 years older than you. The normal treatment would always be: they look down on you. Whether you did the right thing or not, you will always be wrong in their sight. They can't stand the fact that someone younger than them can be way ahead of them and can achieve more than what they had in their stay in the company. The root cause of office politics is, almost always, about jealousy. They are probably jealous of all the benefits and training you're getting. Or probably, the big boss favors you more than them because you are still flexible to learn.

Having that first hand experience, it affected my working capabilities. On one hand, I want to give up and just go with the flow. But on the other hand, I will continue to do my best in my job regardless of what they will say. However, most of the time I'm just caught in the middle don't know what to do. I have also met a lot of my friends who are in the same situation as I have. Or probably, it's just the era of the 20-something where in we're in the hype of our career and wanting to learn but the "old dogs" would just not allow us to "spread our wings". A good freind of mine once told me that if I want to grow in my career, I need to resign from my current job. Well, that friend of mine has a point...because if I don't resign and stopped allowing myself to learn, I will just end up like a "dead wood". Then again, as long as I am employed, I will continue to apply 1 Timothy 4:12 and in God's time, He will just let me spread my wings and "soar like an eagle".

No comments:

Post a Comment